Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW : NAME PLACE ANIMAL THING




I have been following Mayank Shekhar since the last many years. I have always liked his writing and his bollywood film reviews. He is one of the few Indian film critics I like primarily because he reviews the "product" and not the "people" associated with the "product". (Unlike many so called reviewers and film critics who vomit out their personal hatred towards a particular actor/director in the review.)

 

And so when I came to know about this book written by him, I was only happy to read it. Major chunk of the book focuses on bollywood, so I had hardly any reason to complain,  being a hardcore bollywood fan myself.

 

The title of the novel itself evokes nostalgia – "Name, Place, Animal, Thing". The kids of today's generation who are perennially glued to their mobile and laptop screens would hardly understand the sheer joy of playing this game called "Name, place, animal, thing" during a free period in school on the last page of your notebook by making 4 columns. It was the first multiplayer game I would say, much before counterstrike and Pub-G made its way. Anyway, let us get back to the book.

 

"Part rant, part reportage. Partly serious and partly funny" is what the book is described. The book stays fully faithful to its one-line description. These are pleasant observations which the author has observed over a couple of years. Some of these observations are hilarious, while some are thought-provokingly accurate and real, showing us a glaring reflection of our society.

 

WRITING & LANGUAGE

It is such a relief to see a book written by someone who has good command over language and grammar. Of course, for someone who has been a journalist for so long, these things are not applicable – they have super control over their English, unlike the herd of writers who have emerged nowadays whose books have glaring grammatical errors right from page 1.

 

Mayank's writing style is excellent. He is sharp, witty and writes in a way that doesn't bore the reader. Further, he adds his own personal anecdotes and experiences which makes it more interesting.

Each chapter is precise without any unnecessary rant/reportage. Mayank covers a wide variety of topics ranging from Bollywood, music, his experiences in various cities, his views  on various people of the film industry and his views on the changing patterns in the world with time.

 

POSITIVES

There were a few chapters and topics which I particularly loved amongst the others.

· 1The chapter on Farhan Akhtar – Very well written. Now I am no diehard fan of Farhan Akhtar, but even I have to admit that "Dil Chahta Hai" remains my most favorite film ever. Also, I thoroughly enjoy watching him handle all departments be it acting, singing or direction.

·The chapter on A.R Rahman – I have been a "Rahmaniac" ever since I started learning music. And so it is obvious that I must have loved this chapter. Mayank beautifully depicts Rahman's nature and compositions.

·All the chapters on Mumbai – Although I am not a mumbaikar, I have stayed for few weeks at a stretch multiple times. Now I know it takes 21 days for the formation of any habit, but with Mumbai, things are different. It hardly takes time to get addicted to Mumbai. Maybe it is the air – that is what I have always wondered, something mentioned so accurately even by Mayank that I felt I was reading my own thoughts.

·The chapter on Bandra – Very well written and very relatable.

·The chapter on the old TV serials – How a casual remark by Rajiv Gandhi led to the making of the TV serials "Ramayan" & "Mahabharat" is indeed an interesting story.

·The chapter on TVF – I would refrain from diving deep into the controversies, but I have been an ardent TVF fan since they started with their youtube videos. You have to admit that they have produced some exceptional content in the last few years. And so I liked when Mayank wrote a chapter on this topic.

·The chapter where Mayank shares his experiences when he was in the censor board – It was indeed enlightening to know the struggles and the amount of bad content the censor board must have to endure on a daily basis. Also, I liked how Mayank differed on many occasions with the opinions of the other board members. Sure the committee has evolved, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

·Page 3 (The movie) – All these years, I thought I was the only one who remembered that scene where inspector Bhonsle (Upendra Limaye) gives a befitting reply to a high society girl who calls him "Ghaati". I have always loved watching this scene, especially the way the inspector gives the girl a dose in perfect English. Again, I was glad someone other than me shared similar thoughts.

·When a writer mentions "Wren & Martin" in his book, I see no reason not to like his book. The mere mention brought back so many good memories from school.

·Lastly, I loved the chapter on Ram Gopal Varma – very nicely written.

 

NEGATIVES

Not exactly a negative thing, but I did observe that maybe Mayank has been writing these chapters since a very long time. There were a few chapters which seemed outdated, not in a bad way. It is just that they weren't updated with recent happenings. For example, the chapter on A.R Rahman hardly had anything post 2010. The main focus was on his oscar win and subsequent immediate success. I waited for a mention of "Rockstar" or maybe "Tamasha" but then I realized that maybe Mayank wrote this much before these films were made. I maybe wrong though.

 

OVERALL, this is a wonderfully written book with lots of interesting trivia, anecdotes and personal experiences. Highly recommended!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TANU WEDS MANU RETURNS : MY THOUGHTS

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS. IT IS TO BE READ ONLY IF YOU HAVE WATCHED THE MOVIE. IT IS NOT EXACTLY A REVIEW. IT CONTAINS THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW I LIKED THE MOVIE. IT IS LONG AND CONTAINS QUITE SOME IMAGES. Few facts we learnt from Tanu Weds Manu Returns – 1.      Southhall mein logon ke ghar ke baahar kacchhe sookhte hain. 2.      Tharki logon ki pasandeeda kitaab hain “LOLITA” 3.      “TILANDI” means “VANISHED” 4.      Tanu saves her husband Manu’s number in her phone under the contact name “HUSBAND” 5.      Delhi ka aadha pollution aashiqon ki wajah se hain. 6.      “JHAND” means “DESTROYED” 7.      “PEEPNI” means … “Bachpan mein buddha hota than a neeli aankhon waala, jisse pichkaao toh         aawaaz aati thi PEE PEE” 8.      Pappi ki colony ki do nikkar wali ladkiyon ne use propose kiya tha. 9.      Masoor ki dal mein ajinomoto nahin padta. 10.    Tanu and Manu last had sex in 2013, bhaiyya dooj ke din. 11.      Jab kahin jaana hi nahin, toh bus ke dha

MY TEN FAVORITE SHAHRUKH KHAN MOVIES

There are people who hate him. There are people who love him. And there are people who are crazy after him. My affection for him has always been variegating. While I have loved some of his performances, I don’t like certain avatars of him. One big problem I have had with Shahrukh khan’s acting is the times he hams on screen – you know when he is crying and gives that typical facial expression – which is totally a turn off. Whenever he has steered clear from doing that on screen, he has given some brilliant performances.   He is a fantastic actor, no doubt, and over the years, I have fallen in love with some of the characters he has played. Below is a list of my ten favorite Shahrukh films –   DISCLAIMER – Kuch kuch hota hai, Kabhi khushi kabhi gham, Devdas, Main hoon Na have not been included. Now you may read further. SWADES This is undoubtedly Shahrukh’s finest performance ever. With a wardrobe of only five to six simple smart shirts in the entire mov

MUSIC REVIEW : MTV UNPLUGGED (A.R RAHMAN)

Rahman begins the episode with “YE JO DES HAI TERA”. That was a smart move to ensure the audience get goosebumps right from the moment the shehnais start. the way ranjit barot changes the song (Deconstructs and reconstructs it, in Rahman’s words) is awesome. The “mitti ki hai jo khushboo” chorus is out of this world. Rahman’s rendition is near perfect. He sings the song with aplomb. The chorus before the second antara again gives you goosebumps. And Rahman escalates the song with his PERFECT tamil rendition. Although I didn’t understand a word of it, it is obvious that Rahman is much more at ease singing tamil lyrics compared to hindi ones. Overall, this was 5 minutes and 14 seconds of pure hair – raising stuff. Special credit to the shehnai players – Omkar dhumal, Raju dhumal, Sunil dhumal, Sanjeev shankar and Ashwani shankar. “REHNA TU” starts off with an addictive piano loop, the one which was heard even in the behind the scenes video released prior to the episode.