Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW : GOD IS A GAMER



If you think about it, for a doctor and surgeon like me, banking related novels are part of a way different genre. But there has always been something about Ravi Subramanian which has made me love all his novels.
I started my association with Blogadda by reviewing Ravi’s novel. So this time when they offered a copy of “God is a Gamer” for review, I HAD to get it. And despite the heavy schedule, I easily finished the novel in 3 days.
PLOT
Like all his previous novels, this one too revolves around the NYIB New York International Bank. To describe the whole plot would be almost impossible. To tell you in short, there are multiple subplots, all well connected with each other. As always, this novel revolves in and around the New York international Bank (NYIB) and brings out the glaring reality of the banking world. There is the well known character Aditya who has been an old character in Ravi’s novels. There are also Sundeep, swami and Kalpana. This time we are introduced to Aditya’s son Varun. There is also involvement of the finance minister and an American senate member.
The central theme of the book is based on bitcoins, which is electronic currency, to describe it in very very short. But I guess the idea of writing the first bitcoin thriller was a brilliant one. This is a field which is unknown to a large area of people, especially Indians.

WRITING
I have always been a huge fan of Ravi’s books. I call him the Madhur Bhandarkar of the banking world. There is no scope for any stagnancy in his books. Everything always progresses at neck break speed. The way he organizes his multiple subplots is a master’s job. It is one thing to create so many subplots, introduce so many characters and it is another to keep the readers engaged in the entire collage of subplots. We never lose track of any of the characters; nor do we get confused or bored. The strings are all well connected, all eventually leading to a climax.
As always, the language is kept simple and effective. The suspense (or the double suspense) is wonderfully done. Full marks for the content. Getting to know in detail about bitcoins was indeed fascinating. It elevated the plot few steps higher.

CHARACTERIZATION
The characters are all lovely. Those who have read Ravi’s previous books will come across quite a few familiar names. And yet, those who haven’t read his previous books won’t feel as if they are missing something. This is something I loved about the book. In a way, the novel is a sequel of sorts as far few characters are concerned, and still if a reader chooses this book as his first Ravi Subramanian novel, he won’t have any problems getting a grip of the characters.
Secondly, there is no bias as far as the characters are concerned – old ones or newly introduced ones. As in all Ravi Subramanian books, the protagonist is not necessarily an honest person. They all have their flaws and weaknesses, be it professional or personal life. And that is how their character is developed. Ultimately, it is upto the reader as to what impression he / she wishes to have regarding a particular character.

POSITIVES
There are many plusses. The content, the writing, the crisp editing, the authenticity of th e various things mentioned in the book, and the twist in the epilogue. Everything is wonderfully done.

NEGATIVES
To be honest, none.

OVERALL, “God is a Gamer” is a fantastic book, a must read for people who love thrillers, who have even the slightest interest in banking and ofcourse for Ravi Subramanian fans. I consider it my personal victory to confess that I correctly guessed the suspense around hundred pages before the end. Though initially disappointed, I turned out to be right in the end. Somehow, THAT increased my liking for the novel manifold.


DO READ. PERIOD. 


This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TANU WEDS MANU RETURNS : MY THOUGHTS

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS. IT IS TO BE READ ONLY IF YOU HAVE WATCHED THE MOVIE. IT IS NOT EXACTLY A REVIEW. IT CONTAINS THOUGHTS ABOUT HOW I LIKED THE MOVIE. IT IS LONG AND CONTAINS QUITE SOME IMAGES. Few facts we learnt from Tanu Weds Manu Returns – 1.      Southhall mein logon ke ghar ke baahar kacchhe sookhte hain. 2.      Tharki logon ki pasandeeda kitaab hain “LOLITA” 3.      “TILANDI” means “VANISHED” 4.      Tanu saves her husband Manu’s number in her phone under the contact name “HUSBAND” 5.      Delhi ka aadha pollution aashiqon ki wajah se hain. 6.      “JHAND” means “DESTROYED” 7.      “PEEPNI” means … “Bachpan mein buddha hota than a neeli aankhon waala, jisse pichkaao toh         aawaaz aati thi PEE PEE” 8.      Pappi ki colony ki do nikkar wali ladkiyon ne use propose kiya tha. 9.      Masoor ki dal mein ajinomoto nahin padta. 10.    Tanu and Manu last had sex in 2013, bhaiyya dooj ke din. 11.      Jab kahin jaana hi nahin, toh bus ke dha

MY TEN FAVORITE SHAHRUKH KHAN MOVIES

There are people who hate him. There are people who love him. And there are people who are crazy after him. My affection for him has always been variegating. While I have loved some of his performances, I don’t like certain avatars of him. One big problem I have had with Shahrukh khan’s acting is the times he hams on screen – you know when he is crying and gives that typical facial expression – which is totally a turn off. Whenever he has steered clear from doing that on screen, he has given some brilliant performances.   He is a fantastic actor, no doubt, and over the years, I have fallen in love with some of the characters he has played. Below is a list of my ten favorite Shahrukh films –   DISCLAIMER – Kuch kuch hota hai, Kabhi khushi kabhi gham, Devdas, Main hoon Na have not been included. Now you may read further. SWADES This is undoubtedly Shahrukh’s finest performance ever. With a wardrobe of only five to six simple smart shirts in the entire mov

THE BATMAN TRILOGY : AN ODE TO THE GREATEST SUPERHERO SERIES EVER MADE

I know I know. You people have been subjected to uncountable batman reviews. This is probably the zillionth fan based review which must have been written on the dark knight rises. So let me not bore you and tell you that this is not a review . I won’t describe the synopsis nor the performances nor the direction the way a movie critic does, because MUCH has been written on all that. I was sort of a late batman fan. I watched the Dark knight 2 years after it released. I watched batman begins a week before. But I did watch the final part of the trilogy in the theatre on the first day in the first show. I won’t be exaggerating when I say that I dreamt about the movie for 3 consecutive days after I watched it in the theatre. That itself says how much I loved it. Infact the only other movie which invaded my sleep and totally wrecked it was “INCEPTION” (Again Christopher Nolan). Okay, so while people have loved the last film, there have been a lot of negative res