My top 30 songs of 2011
This list is in no particular order. I tried giving them ranks, but couldn’t make up my mind which songs I liked more.
- Rangrez (TWM) – undoubtedly the best song of the year. What a sparkling debut by Krsna.
- Kun faaya kun – There’s no one like a.r rahman when it comes to creating such divine songs.
- Jo bhi main – Wonderful lyrics and awesome singing.
- Saadda haq – Touted as the anthem of the year, this one swept me off too.
- Yun hi (TWM) – what a year it has been for mohit chauhan.
- Piya (TWM)– one of roopkumar rathod’s best works till date.
- Baawre (Pyaar ka punchnama) – This one sung by
cerejo is an unusual choice, but I loved it. Clinton
- Saibo (Shor in the city) – Shreya ghoshal, tochi raina and sachin jigar created a melody which’ll linger for a long time.
- Dil dhadakne do (ZNMD) – A typical SEL number, this one was a highly spirited song with a great chorus.
- Dekho ek nanhi si jaan (
ka dabba) – No one like shankar mahadevan in such songs. Hitesh sonik created a fabulous song here. Stanley
- Zindagi (Shaitan) – Ranjit barot finally gets his dues with a fantastic song sung and composed by himself.
- Dua (No one killed jessica) – a gem of a song composed by amit trivedi, reminiscent of his last year’s impeccable “udaan.”
- Nasha (Shaitan) – sung by prashant pillai and bindu nair, this one composed by prashant pillai was another superb track from shaitan.
- Chaahoon bhi (Force) – I’m not a follower of harris jayraj’s tamil work, but all I know is that
jayshree and jayraj weaved MAGIC with zara zara in RHTDM. Again after a decade, they recreate the magic. Although nowhere in zara zara’s league, this song, also supported by the melodious karthik is a beautiful song. One of my favorites. Bombay
- Chhaayi hai tanhaai (Love breakups zindagi) – Sung by shafqat amanat ali, this salim sulaiman composition was a super song, reminding one of “tujhe bhula diya.” Wish this had been a slightly longer track. The entire album, though consisting of typical salim sulaiman tracks, is my most frequently heard album after rockstar this year.
- Isk risk (Mere brother ki dulhan) – Sohail sen’s MBKD boasted of some wonderful commercial ingredients, but this RFAK number stood out for its brilliant tune, good lyrics, lovely picturization and superlative singing.
- Main ek bhanwra (Sahib biwi aur gangster) – this was an awesome track. Period. sung by the “Saawariya” fame shail hada, this song is as soothing as it can get. A must-listen for all those who appreciate quality music.
- Phir mohabbat (Murder 2) – Mithoon returns after a series of duds with a brilliantly composed song. The rest was taken care of by emraan hashmi who made sure this song became a chartbuster.
- Chatte batte (Chillar Party) – A first time combination of mohit chauhan and amit trivedi, this was yet another simple and melodious song which was perfectly in sync with the movie.
- Koi aa raha paas hai (Pyaar ka punchnama) – composed by hitesh sonik, this song sung by suraj jagan is a beautiful track. Unlike his hard rock numbers, suraj goes soft and melodious for this one, and the result is great. Do listen.
- Sau baras (Haunted 3D) – I’ve always been a fan of the music of vikram bhatt movies. This song sung by the movie’s lead actress cum singer twinkle a.k.a tia bajpai is a finely composed song with beautiful piano interludes. A perfect song for a horror movie.
- Saigal blues (
- Aapki aahat (Lanka) – Wonder why do composers still not realize the true worth of sonu nigam. That guy is a real genius when he’s given a lilting melody. Here, he does the same, adding in his own “RAFI-isms” modifications, and the result is something great.
- Ek manzil (Soundtrack) – First watch this song in the movie, and you’ll know why I’ve included it here. One of the most uniquely picturised songs, I had initially found it a mediocre number. But my thoughts changed after watching the movie. This one sung by vishal vaid is a good track.
- Jeeye kyun (Dum maaro dum) – This song brought PAPON into mainstream bollywood. A dark number, this pritam song is sung superbly by papon. A singer to look for, looking at his more recent tracks post jeeye kyun.
- Bekaraan (7 khoon maaf) – Vishal bhardwaj and gulzar is equivalent to magic. This song was no different. Lilaah…
- Hum tum (Damadamm) – I actually liked three four songs of this movie, they being aaja ve maahiya, ishq unplugged, yun toh mera dil and hum tum. Serene compositions and some different singing by aapdo himesh…
- Gale laga le (FALTU) – vijay prakash and priya panchal sing this sachin jigar melody. A good album, this song stood out among the others.
- I love you (Bodyguard) – Typical pritam with his never failing tune crooned by ash king, this one was a winner all the way.
- Bhare naina (Ra one) – This song gave bollywood a new voice in the name of nandini shrikar. A beautifully sung song, this singer is here to stay. Do listen to her debut album. It’s very nice.
To sum up, My top 3 albums of the year were –
2) Tanu weds Manu
3) Love breakups zindagi